- Go for a walk even when the weather is really cold – your body has to work overtime to get warm and you may burn up to 50% more calories than you would on the same walk in summer! But remember, go a little slower until you get warm and keep up the hydration. Or even more fun and also energizing and a great winter exercise is to DANCE, anywhere, anyhow, with anyone!
- Try a herbal tea instead of choosing a cup of hot chocolate to keep yourself warm, especially ones that are immune boosting. Peppermint, Chai, Lemon balm, Ginger and Chamomile to name a few are all awesome immune boosting herbs.
- The cold air and indoor heaters can dry out your skin. Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water each day and use moisturisers throughout winter.
- Buy some indoor plants to soften up the dry atmosphere caused through heating. Indoor plants give off moisture and oxygen and the colours will brighten up a dull day outside.
- Eat lovely slowed cooked meals, the food is easier to digest in a slow cooker and it’s warming and nourishing for the body.
- Do regular stretching, yoga postures or pilates to keep your muscles tone, strong and flexible in winter as they tend to shrink and stiffen in the winter months from less movement and the cold. For those that know some Brain Gym, Tai Chi or Qi Gong these are an awesome way to lift your vitality and energy in Winter.
- If the dreaded lurgy hits the household eat lots of soups and bone broths and have a selection of good supplements handy like: Echinacea, Vitamin C, Zinc, Manuka Honey, fresh Lemons. Ginger, Propolis, Colodial Silver and/or Olive Leaf extract.
- Washing hands: Yep it sounds simple but it’s the number one way to stop the spread of germs in winter.
- Rest when possible. Regular sleep is essential to staying healthy. Don’t let yourself get run down. Those who aren’t well rested are more likely to get sick and it can take longer to get over the illness.
- Clean up any house mould. Mould can trigger nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, respiratory infections and worsen asthma and allergic conditions. So move your spring clean forward to autumn.
Photo from Dreamingandwandering on Instigram
This awesome quick and simple recipe assists in keeping our immune and digestive systems strong and healthy during these winter months. Not only are they packed with Protein they have Vitamin C, Zinc and Probiotics to keep our immune and digestive systems strong and healthy. See tomorrow for some more great reasons to include Grass Fed (Kosher) Gelatin into your daily foods. Consult your Naturopath, Nutritionist or Health food shop specialist when deciding on which supplements to add.
Immune Boosting Gelatin ‘Lollies’
Makes approx 12
1 cup fresh Orange juice
12 tablespoons Great Lakes Grass Fed Unflavoured Gelatin
3 teaspoons Vitamin C powder. I use Metagenics Meta Zinc + C powder or similar
3 teaspoons Organic honey (optional) (I don’t use honey as they are sweet enough)
1 teaspoon Good quality Probiotics (Optional)
Combine all ingredients in saucepan and stir over low heat until all the gelatin has dissolved.
Pour into ice cube tray. Refrigerate for 10 – 20 minutes.
You can keep them in the fridge (where they will continue to harden) or in an airtight container in the pantry for softer lollies.
Dose 2 – 4 cubes
Thanks to Natalie Cruttenden (Naturopath & Homeopath) for the recipe
You can purchase Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin from My Home Pantry The perfect one stop shop for all your healthy food and home product choices.
I came across this technique many years ago for my severe hayfever and sinus (I’ve been practicing it for 15 years myself), and was hooked after my first treatment. Non-invasive and pain-free, ear candling uses a specially designed candle to draw excessive wax, fluid and residue from the ear, so it’s great for clearing up those bunged-up, heavy-headed flu and hay fever and sinus symptoms. But that’s not where the benefits end. Asthma, otitis media, hearing difficulties, vertigo, headaches, Oedema, tonsillitis, glandular viruses and rhinitis can all be effectively treated with ear candling.
When I first started practicing the technique, I specialized in allergies (Sinus, Hayfever & Asthma). It was a condition I was familiar with, and one which seemed to affect a limitless amount of adults and children. Among its many benefits, is the speed with which ear candling works, and I saw (and continue to see) huge improvements in my clients after only one treatment. The second benefit of this treatment is the sustainability of the results. Patients with severe symptoms required regular sessions, but none more frequently than once every four months, and each session brings with it a greater vitality and improvement. After a year or two of quarterly sessions, the majority of patients find they can reduce their treatments to once or twice a year.
Childhood Ear Problems
Many babies and small children have issues with their auditory systems, particularly otitis media with effusion (OME). Also known as ‘glue ear’, this common childhood condition often resolves itself. However, in more severe cases it can require an operation and grommets - small tubes inserted into the ear to help drain excess fluid from the ear canal. Ear candling is the only natural therapy that can effectively tackle OME. While the technique has garnered a lot of negative press (many doctors often would condemn it as useless), my success treating children with this condition has now earned me more than a few referrals from these medical specialists and it is the preferred option by many specialists for cleaning the ear safely.
The jury is still out on exactly why ear candling works. Some scientists speculate that the hot smoke from the flame channeled into the ear canal clears impurities. Others suggest that the vacuum caused by the burning flame and hollow candle helps to draw toxins and excessive wax out of the ear. I believe the later however, whatever the reason behind its effectiveness, as a treatment for common conditions like hay fever, colds, flus, asthma and otitis media, ear candling really is second to none.
And I’m not the only one who thinks so! A huge thanks to some of my lovely clients for sharing their experiences with ear candling:
“I started having problems with my ear plus my sinuses were completely blocked, which made breathing through my nose in yoga class extremely difficult and rather annoying. I tried ear candling at home with small candles and ear drops from the chemist, but the results were minimal. After speaking with Jo at one of her group healing evenings, I booked in to have my ears professionally candled. I couldn't believe how blocked up my ears were, and I am such a clean freak! I would highly recommend ear candling to anyone who wants to feel more balanced, clear and refreshed.”
“I can't recommend Jo's ear candling enough. I have suffered from debilitating sinus issues and have noticed a significant improvement after only two sessions. I was amazed at how relaxing it is & look forward to each session as it has benefited me to no end.”
“Our 18-month-old daughter was struggling to speak and having problems hearing us. Having discovered that her ear fluid was not draining, specialists were keen to insert grommets into her ear. Jo came very highly recommended, and I am so glad we tried out ear candling first. After the first session, my daughter slept so peacefully. My husband and I were both shocked by the amount of wax and fluid that came out in the first session, and we couldn’t believe the results. Our daughter responded straight away when we spoke to her, she could finally hear us! After 2-3 weeks, she started to make new sounds and even said her first words. We can’t thank Jo enough and we recommend her highly. She changed the life of our little girl, and we are so glad that we didn’t put her through the operation the specialists and doctors had thought necessary. Thank you, Jo!”
I had been suffering from a bad sinus infection for two weeks. The whole session with Jo was very relaxing and so much wax and other 'stuff' came out it was amazing to see the reason as to what was causing me such pain and congestion. What's more amazing is that I didn't feel any sucking or pulling as this was happening. The candle simply rests at the opening of your ear. The session finished with a beautiful massage and I left feeling 'light' in the head, in a good way, and with my fingers crossed I would start to feel better within 24 hours... I woke up the next morning with absolutely no pain at all! My face, head and glands were no longer tender and swollen. I felt completely clear in the head. I was blown away at how something as simple as extracting ear wax and sinus congestion could make me 100% better - and so quickly.
I also want to mention that even before getting sick I would always wake up heavy headiness, almost like an allergy headache or tension pain in the head and neck which I just put down to tiredness - due to two active non sleeping toddlers. This had been the case for about 3 or more years. Since I've had the ear candling done I wake up completely clear and completely pain free. I'm not exaggerating when I say this alone has been life changing for me and my wellbeing. Thanks so much Jo!
4 minute Qi Gong Self Massage - Patting
This simple and quick self massage boosts your energy, enhances your immunity, gets your metabolism moving, cleanses your organs and awakens all of your body. It’s great to do every morning to start the day, especially in winter to get yourself functioning for the day ahead. It works on tapping the Chinese Meridian points throughout the body clearing any energy blockages or stagnation and enhancing blood and energy flow. This type of massage is an ancient Chinese activity used by millions of people in China on a daily basis as part of their Qi Gong/Chi Kung practice. Qi Gong (Translated as Energy work) is an ancient Chinese health care system that integrates physical postures, breathing techniques and focused intention.
So find 4-6 minutes in your morning and start PATTING.